Added: Additional Event TimesFor many people, it looked like the hardest part about the event was to complete building their deck and hit the 'submit' button in the allotted time of 20 miinutes:
Magic R&D is constantly developing new formats and testing them within the confines of the pit at Wizards HQ. They are offering a peek inside the testing process with a chance to try out a new format: 10 assorted booster packs from throughout Magic Online’s history, called the Festival Of Old Limited Sealed!
The Festival Of Old Limited Sealed is designed as one of the most skill-testing formats ever. Do you have what it takes to tackle the Festival Of Old Limited Sealed? This Phantom event will be available Monday at 12:00 PM PDT, 1:00 PM PDT, 2:00 PM PDT, 3:00 PM PDT, 4:00 PM PDT, 5:00 PM PDT, 6:00 PM PDT, and 9:00 PM PDT. Please note that the cards played with will not be added to players’ collections because this is a Phantom event.
Festival Of Old Limited Sealed
START TIME: Monday, 04/01/2013, at 12:00 PM, 1:00 PM, 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:00 PM, 5:00 PM, 6:00 PM, and 9:00 PM (all times PDT).
LOCATION: Scheduled Events room.
ENTRY OPTION(S): 6 Event Tickets.
PRODUCT: Magic Online will provide 10 assorted Phantom booster packs for this event. Cards that players play with in a Phantom event are NOT added to those players' collections.
SIZE: 16-512 players.
DURATION: Deck building time plus four rounds, Swiss pairings.
PRIZES: Prizes for Swiss pairing events are based on the total match points at the end of the tournament. Each match win awards 3 points and each match loss awards 0 points.
I finished with only 1 minute left and there were definitely some build mistakes involved. At the very least, I should have had 1 more swamp and 1 less plains. I also think there were better choices than Stand/Deliver & Tower Drake.
Anyway, the event fires and here's my pool:
The pair of Serra Sphinxes get my attention immediately. I scan my blue and have found my first color. Dromar, the Banisher is tempting, but can I really make it work? The other big color for me was red. With a pair of Magma Jets and a handful of other burn. If I stuck to esper I would basically only have bounce for removal, but I'd get to play Dromar and some nice dimir multi-color cards. I figured I was just going to live and die on tempo and go all in on esper. In this end, my deck looked like this:
- Serra Sphinxes were as good as ever.
- Dromar actually connected on 2 players and I even got to choose a non-esper color to bounce. (Picking esper would bounce himself.)
- Peel from Reality & Familiar's Ruse did a lot of work since I had so many creatures with ETB effects.
- Dimir Infiltrator was a nice unblockable finisher once their life totals got low and I even got to transmute him once to grab Familiar's Ruse to protect Dromar and grab a win.
- 3 creatures with morph kept my opponent's guessing.
- A lot of my draw spells doubled as discard spells and worked well with my bounce.
- In the games that I won, I crushed. I would just drop some early creatures and my bounce kept them from staying online for long. And just when they thought they were safe, I'd drop a sphinx or a dragon.
I ended up going 4-0 in the event and earned myself 11 Gatecrash Booster Packs for only 6 Tickets. :)