What would you pick?
This is the first Crack-a-Pack I've done since I completely overhauled the entire cube (probably swapping out 50% of the cards, including all of the cycling and slivers). So I don't know what the correct picks are exactly, but if I opened these cards, here's what my initial evaluation would be:
- Unburial Rites - This was one of the most powerful cards in Innistrad block and I see no reason why it would be any less powerful here.
- Raven Guild Master, Dermoplasm, and Krosan Cloudscraper - These are some of the most powerful morph creatures and are worth consideration, especially above other morphs.
- Liege of the Axe and Snapping Thragg - These creatures are a step below the previous 3, especially in the morph department. If you were going to take a morph creature from this pack, it should not be either of these.
- Fire-Belly Changeling - An excellent creature that you'd be happy to add to any tribal deck, but he's more of a role-player and not a first pick.
- Ramosian Sky Marshal - Even though the sky marshal is the top of the rebel curve, I don't think any rebel is worth first picking except for Lin Sivvi unless the pack is severely gimped. The rebels are just kind of fun to play in general so I don't hate this pick if you just want to have fun.
- Wheel of Fortune - This is an interesting card and I'm still not sure how good it actually is in a format that has a heavy graveyard theme. Unless your hand is close to empty and you'll be forcing your opponent to discard an entire mitt of cards, you might just end up helping your opponent more than hurting him. Still, I don't hate this pick, just to experiment.
- Azorius Guildmage and Rakdos Guildmage - Both super solid, one a wizard and the other a zombie.
- Screeching Skaab and Gravecrawler - In this pack in particular, zombies might be a thing. Not sure if Gravecrawler is first-pickable, but you have a good chance of wheeling either the skaab or the Rakdos Guildmage and it's worth taking into consideration.
- Kessig Wolf Run - One of the most busted cards in Innistrad limited and part of the name-sake of "Wolf Run Ramp" in constructed play.
- Primal Command - In general, I think the swords are the most powerful cards in the cube, but each of the commands are also up there in power. Hard to pass any commands and if you do, you're definitely sending a signal and you shouldn't expect to see any green passed your way in the next pack if you do.
Like I said, I really haven't played enough of the cube to figure out what the "correct picks" are, but 3 cards jump out to me:
- Unburial Rites
- Kessig Wolf Run
- Primal Command
Personally, I value lands super highly in cube and that would likely be my pick. But I'm also a fan of any graveyard shinanigans, so the Unburial Rites is super tempting.
One thing is clear, by replacing all of the cycling and slivers in the cube, these picks have become much less clear to me. I think this is for the better!