Lightning Coils Deck
4 Shield Sphere
4 Goblin Welder
2 Arcbound Ravager
1 Karn, Silver Golem
4 Tezzeret's Gambit
3 Lightning Coils
2 Contagion Engine
2 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
2 Copy Artifact
2 Pentad Prism
4 Everflowing Chalice
2 Mox Opal
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Great Furnace
4 Vault of Whispers
How does the deck work?
The main win condition for the deck is pretty straight forward. With lightning coils and multiple ways to get charge charge counters and create artifact creatures, when this deck wins, it crushes. When the Lightning Coils fails, Arcbound Ravager, Karn Silver Golem, and Tezzeret Agent of Bolas can also bring you victory in the end.
How does this deck differ from similar decks out there?
Except for a pair of Contagion Engines, this build lacks any form of disruption in terms of counter spells, discard, land destruction, or spot removal. This deck has nothing. I've tried adding other cards like Aether Spellbomb, Pyrite Spellbomb, and others, but I couldn't really get it to work. In the end, I decided to damn that all to hell and go "all-in Lightning Coils" instead. If your opponent has something to stop the Lightning Elemental creature tokens from hitting the battlefield, then so be it. The deck is still fun to play when it works.
What is your favorite thing about the deck?
- 1st Turn - Goblin Welder + Shield Sphere
- 2nd Turn - Coretapper + Shield Sphere
- 3rd Turn - Lightning Coils
- End of Opponent's Turn - Tap Coretapper and target Lightning Coils (1 charge), sacrifice Coretapper (1 charge) and target Lightning Coils (2 charges). Then tap Goblin Welder, bringing Coretapper back into play by putting Shield Sphere into your graveyard (1 charge).
- Upkeep of 4th Turn in response to Lightning Coils trigger on the stack - Tap Coretapper and target Lightning Coils (1 charge), sacrifice Coretapper (1 charge) and target Lightning Coils (2 charges). Then tap Goblin Welder, bringing Coretapper back into play by putting Shield Sphere into your graveyard (1 charge). Finally sacrifice Coretapper again (1 charge) targeting Lightning Coils again (2 charges).
Okay so the Shield Spheres (or Ornithopters or Phyrexian Walkers or whatever) are wishful thinking, but it's not too impossible to get the Goblin Welder + Coretapper + Lightning Coils combo going because the welder can help get things back from the grave. The deck has so many ways to get things into the graveyard and back out that the combo listed above isn't a strict combo at all. You can mix and match pieces however you like to get the Lightning Coils going.